Grammar Lesson 13:Passive Voice
We have many ways to make passive voice sentences.
1. For 해요-verbs, simply switch 해요 to 돼요
1) 포함해요 include, 포함돼요 be included
이 가격은 세금이 포함돼 있어요
. Tax is included in this price. (Literally, this price is tax included.)
2) 설치해요 install, 설치돼요 be installed
제 폰에 앱이 설치돼 있어요
. The app is installed in my phone.
3) 건설해요 build, 건설돼요 be built
이 궁은 1950년에 건설됐어요
. This palace was built in 1950.
2. For non-해요 verbs, you can put 져요
after the verb except for the verbs that have their own passive tones with 이, 히, 리, 기
First, some verbs have their own passive tones with one of 이, 히, 기 or 리
1) 먹다 eat, 먹히다 be eaten, 먹이다 feed
2) 죽다 die, 죽이다 kill
3) 숨다 (someone) hide, 숨기다 hide (something)
제가 커튼 뒤에 숨었어요 I hid behind the curtain. 제가 초콜릿을 부엌에 숨겼어요. I hid chocolate in the kitchen.
4) 살다 live, 살리다 rescue
5) 풀다 untie, solve, release 풀리다 be solved, be released
* Please note that verbs ending with "ㄹ" pair with "리."
Second, if the verbs don't have their own passive tone like the examples above, you can put 져요
after the verb.
1) This computer is fixed. 컴퓨터가 고쳐졌어요
2) The book is written in English. 그 책은 영어로 쓰여져 있어요
3) He's known as a comedian. 그는 개그맨으로 알려져 있어요
4) The wing is broken. 날개가 부러졌어요
5) The glass is broken. 유리가 깨졌어요
6) A child fell (is fallen) in the swimming pool. 아이가 수영장에 빠졌어요
Learn Korean and other languages online with our audio flashcard system and various exercises, such as multiple choice tests, writing exercises, games and listening exercises.
Click here to Sign Up Free!
Or sign up via Facebook/Google with one click:
Watch a short Intro by a real user!